Thursday, August 6, 2009

This lobster is left handed...


The spring ’05 issue of VITALS MAN is my favorite magazine of all time. I still have it in the WC magazine rack at my apartment. It has dynamite recommendations on a Ravello getaway itinerary and insightful spotlights on then-emerging brands like Band of Outsiders and Adam Kimmel. A short piece in the back was entirely devoted to “The Updated Preppy Handbook.” It was in this section that I first saw the belt buckle above. It was labeled as a product of Craftmasters of Nantucket and after I did some research I realized it was only available on island. I’ve spent the past four years trying to acquire it. When I couldn’t find another vendor who manufactured something similar I tried to put it into the spring ‘09 vineyard vines line. Needless to say it was dropped like most of the other things I proposed…J. Crew ended up running a version about a year ago but the claw didn’t have the heft or sculptural quality I was hoping for so I passed.

Thankfully, This past February The Trad began his weekly column The Friday Belt. His first edition featured a Springfield Rifle Sling he picked up from Narragansett Leathers, a small handcrafted leather goods store in Damariscotta, Maine. When I decided to investigate the store further I found that they sell a whole slew of sculptural sterling and brass buckles, including my coveted lobster claw. I procrastinated with the purchase until last week but it’s finally here and I am happy. Thanks to The Trad for the tip and Ann Marie from Narragansett Leathers for being so helpful!

3 comments:

Dale P.L. Chadwick said...

I saw that belt at J. Crew - I agree, the shape of the claw was certainly softer. I get my ribbon belts there...

The Vineyard Vines guys came to speak at our university - I'm not surprised that they did drop something as sophisticated as the lobster buckle. Thanks for sharing where you got yours - I'm looking at the tree or owl myself.

-Dale

Marcellus said...

Enzo,

I know the exact issue you speak of, and in fact, the exact page (120)--I looked through the issue in one of my binders last week. You're right, great issue, and great magazine. It's a shame it, and Cargo, were both flashes in the pan. Vitals in particular had such great content, and being free made it even more enjoyable (though that also may have helped in its demise).

As always, great post.

Marcellus

Branden Brooks said...

I still have that issue. I keep it on my nightstand. I love the preppy timeline in the back. LOL.