Thursday, August 13, 2009

Joseph Leonard - Champagne on a Beer's Budget

rendering borrowed from style.com

image borrowed from eater.com

image borrowed from eater.com

I love raw bar. I would probably eat oysters, clams & lobster (preferably on a hotdog bun with drawn butter) for lunch every single day if I could. Unfortunately, the cost of such a meal has always been prohibitive…until now. Joseph Leonard, Gabriel Stulman’s newest west village venture has made my dream of a raw bar meal under 30 bucks a reality. The place offers $1.50 oysters and a $10 lobster tail. “It’s like drinking champagne on a beer’s budget,” Gabriel remarked as he poured me a pint of Molson Canadian, one of my hometown favs and one of only three beers they serve.

“I’m freaking out on the inside, I haven’t bartended in four years.” he laments to my wife and I, though it doesn't show as he seamlessly weaves his way into and out of every conversation at the lively 13 seat zinc bar. He is as modest as his menu is eclectic...with braised pork hock, duck rillette, & shrimp and grits with andouille, I can honestly say that this is a place I could eat at five nights a week.

3 comments:

Adam Christopher said...

Better than Lucky? haha j/k... Place sounds great! Thanks for the write up... I'll be sure to plop my ass down at that bar for beers and some good eats very soon!

Anonymous said...

This restaurant is amazing! I hope it succeeds!

Patrick said...

A car crashed into JL's planter yesterday:

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/forkintheroad/archives/2009/08/sietsema_on_the.php