Friday, June 5, 2009

Thanks for the ride Sam

Louis Prima (left) and Sam Butera (right) doing what they did best
photo borrowed from the las vegas sun

Today I was truly saddened to learn that legendary showman and sax player Sam Butera passed away this past Wednesday morning. It seems like yesterday that I was belting out Sam’s part from “Next Time” in the passenger’s seat of my father’s Dodge on my way to elementary school while my Pop took the role of Louis Prima.  We did that duet more weekday school mornings than not for close to four years.  It is easily one of my best memories of time shared with my father and I have Sam Butera and Louis Prima's outlandishly fun take on jazz to thank for it.  I’ll be listening to them all day today and I suggest that those of you who’ve never heard them find some of their music today and check it out.  I promise it will make you smile.  Rest in peace Sam and thanks again.  


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love the personal touch Antonio...great story, you still play? This could be our next story;) Like you, i learned everything from my dad....I'll check out Sam tonight on itunes...Later