Tuesday, May 19, 2009

A weekend with Old Nassau





This past Friday night my wife and I attended a wedding in Princeton, NJ.  I hadn’t been back to Princeton’s campus since my brother’s graduation in ’97.  My clearest memory of that occasion was a debate I had with my father over the merits of the school and the beauty of the campus’ collegiate gothic architecture.  It went something like this:


Dad: “Tonio, look at this place.  There’s such an amazing history here.  This architectural style is called collegiate gothic and many of the buildings on this campus were modeled after buildings from Oxford and Cambridge.  Simply walking in their shadows inspires excellence.”


Me: “Sure its okay and all Pop but its nothing compared to Penn.”


Dad: “Penn is a great school, I should know, but its no Princeton.  Trust me on this, one day you’ll look back and wish you studied a little more and skateboarded a little less.”


Me: “Sure Pop…”


Like usual, Pop was correct.  I had all day Friday to explore this great little town and I must say that there’s no college campus quite like it. The images above are a few things that I found inspiring as I investigated Princeton’s eating clubs, libraries and quadrangles.  Enjoy them.


No comments: