Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Influential Imagery: Michael Bastian and the Double-breasted Jacket

photo borrowed from mens.style.com

Anybody that knows me well will tell you that I'm a huge fan of Michael Bastian. To me, he is the perfect blend of America & Italy, early 60's Locust Walk & the Via Condotti. It also helps that his sample size (50 euro - 40R) fits me off the peg without any alterations! I think what impresses me most about this product is exactly what is causes many people to say "So what?" He, like all truly great menswear designers, understands that there is no need to over design. Why reinvent the wheel? He focuses on fabric, fit and color and executes impeccably. The result is a product that subtly stands out and makes people double-take without understanding why.

Right now I am particularly enjoying his take on the double-breasted jacket. the narrower, higher-notched peak lapels and the condensed button stance are what really do it for me....so much so that I actually own both of the jackets below.

photo borrowed from mens.style.com

photo borrowed from thesartorialist

No comments: